- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 cup each firmly packed walnuts and raisins
- 1/2 (7-ounce) box Odense Almond Paste, grated
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
The Odense Almond Paste does double duty in this recipe, flavoring both the sweet pastry crust and the filling.
- In a medium bowl, using a pastry blender or food processor (fitted with a metal blade), combine flour, grated Odense Almond Paste, and cold butter until the texture of fine sand. Add yolk mixture a little bit at a time, and mix (or process) until dough forms a ball. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Process or chop walnuts, raisins, and remaining grated Odense Almond Paste until small pieces form. In a medium bowl, mix butter, eggs, brown sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla extract until combined. Add walnut mixture and mix well.
- Move oven rack to lowest position and preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour or spray 2 mini tart pans. Roll out dough and, with a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out circles. Gather scraps and re-roll until you have 24 circles. Fill tart pans with dough circles, gently pressing into shell molds.
- Fill each shell with 2 teaspoons filling. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 to 18 minutes. Cool pans on wire racks for 10 minutes then carefully remove tartlets onto racks and cool completely.
Refrigerate in an air-tight container, between layers of wax paper, for 5 days or freeze for 1 month. Thaw on the counter; do not microwave. Re-crisp crust (if desired) in a 300-degree Fahrenheit oven for 8 to 10 minutes.*