- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ small red pepper, chopped
- few sprigs of fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 chicken breasts
- tsp mild or sweet paprika
- ½ tbs olive oil
- pinch of salt
- olive oil (for cooking)
- ⅓ cup plain flour – Bowl 1
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten- Bowl 2
- ½ cup plain flour, 120 ml whole milk, ½ tsp mild paprika, pinch of salt- Bowl 3
- 5 cups corn flakes, no added sugar or salt- Bowl 4
- 2 tbs mayonnaise
- 2 tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 tbs honey
- ½ tbs lemon juice
1. Chop up onion, red pepper and parsley.
2. Add the chicken fillets to the mixer and blend until you get a chicken mince. Empty the chicken and vegetables into a mixing bowl. Add paprika and ½ tablespoon of olive oil.
3. Mix it together with your hands until well combined and set aside. Start preparing the 4 shallow plates or bowls for coating.
4. Bowl 1 has ⅓ cup of plain flour.
5. Bowl 2 has 2 eggs, lightly beaten.
6. Bowl 3 has ½ cup plain flour, 120 ml whole milk, ½ teaspoon of paprika and a pinch of salt, all whisked together until there are no lumps.
7. Bowl 4 has 5 cups cornflakes. Grab the cornflakes with your hands and squish them together so that they crumble. Keep doing this until you end up with rough breadcrumb-like pieces.
8. Line up all 4 of your bowls next to your prepared chicken mixture.
9. Take a small piece of the chicken mince mixture in your hand and roll it into a ball. It should be about 1inch wide (2-3cm).
10. Roll it in each of the bowls one at a time until coated on all sides. Start with the plate of flour, then go to the beaten egg, then the flour and milk mixture, and finally in the cornflake crumbs.
11. Set out each coated chicken ball on a plate and move onto the next one until they’re all covered in the crunchy coating.
12. When you’re ready to cook, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan and cook the chicken balls in batches. You may need to add some olive oil between batches
13. Turn them over regularly to make sure you’re cooking all sides. Cook them until they’re golden and the chicken is cooked through.
14. When they’re ready, serve up your chicken popcorn bites with your favorite dip. We suggest a sauce which you can make by whisking together mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, honey and lemon juice.